Adult Volunteer Program
Lower Keys Medical Center has a close bond with our island community, and volunteering offers residents the opportunity to be a part of that bond. To participate as an adult volunteer, we require that you be at least 18 years of age and committed to volunteer at least three hours per week for at least six months on a regularly scheduled basis.
As an adult volunteer you have the chance to volunteer in many different areas of our hospital. If you find that perfect job, a position opens and if you meet the necessary requirements, you may then choose to apply to become a full-time employee and go on to enjoy a challenging and rewarding career in the healthcare industry.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Assisting in various hospital departments - lab, pharmacy, etc.
- Cinical areas - ICU, ER, MICCU, etc.
- Staffing of information desk
- Customer service areas
- Special projects
- Delivery of mail/newspapers to patients
- Delivery of flowers, balloons and gifts to patients
For information on joining the Adult Volunteer Program, please email our volunteer coordinator or call (305) 294-5531, Ext 4445.
To participate as a Junior Volunteer, we require that you be at least 15 years of age and committed to volunteer for approximately three hours per week for at least six months on a regularly scheduled basis. Volunteering at our hospital is a great healthcare career step for mature minded individuals.
For information on joining the Junior Volunteer Program, please email our volunteer coordinator or call (305) 294-5531, Ext 4445.
Lower Keys Medical Center does not currently offer medical school internships, but does offer internships in other areas such as education, marketing, public relations, patient relations and other areas of the hospital. For more information, please email our volunteer coordinator or call (305) 294-5531, Ext 4445.
Volunteer or Internship Placement
As a potential volunteer or intern, you will required to complete the following:
- Attend an interview - please be on time and complete an application
- Background check - criminal history (takes 3 days)
- Drug screen - you will be contacted by our HR Department and given a time for screen in ER
- Attend orientation - during the orientation we discuss health information privacy, safety, fire, security and other issues. (All day class - First Monday of each month at 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.)
- Health screen - provide proof of TB test or have one done in Infection Control (every 2 years)
- Obtain ID badge - this will be done in our Human Resources Department